The Laughing Fox

Live in a world of suspended amazement...

Hockey Kitten

I'm liking that nickname right now. Leigh gave it to me. It makes me smile. An overview of our conversation, and highly edited and modified response, is as follows:


Me:
so i'm playing goal next monday
Leigh:
that is a good plan to avoid not getting knocked around

Me:
seems safer, oddly enough

Leigh:
well you're padded up for it well enough
Leigh:
it'll make you at least as big as the hockey guys without pads
Leigh:
so they'll still be bigger in theirs, but not so much so
Me:
they'll laugh as this little girl is there standing in goal for some wicked shots
Leigh:
and it may make it harder for them to score because every time they see you in the pads they'll go "awww"
Leigh:
like a kitten in a bucket kind of thing I'd imagine...

Me:
each time *I* fall they all ask if i'm okay
Me:
vs when a guy falls they just leave him
Me:
so i'm a kitten now?

Leigh:
naturally
Leigh:
haha no, kittens don't have sharp claws
- insert discussion about me playing as tough as the guys when possible -
Leigh:
well that counts for a lot
Leigh:
I trust it pays off from time to time?
Leigh:
even if you just get tossed most of the time?

Me:
well
Me:
it's gained me respect with the guys
Leigh:
I BET
Me:
i'm also one of three out of ...8? girls that wear actual hockey skates
Me:
the others wear figureskates
Leigh:
see, like I said more claws than a kitten has

- break-


Me:
but i'm happy
Me:
that i'm respected
Leigh:
yeah, go you!

Me:
i've made people pay attention to me
Leigh:
=D
Me:
they treat me as a girl, but not to the point they won't let me play, like the others
Me:
they... make sure i'm okay? but they don't let me have it easy either
Leigh:
that sounds like a pleasant middle ground
Me:
they won't even get near the other girls
Me:
besides the hockey one
Leigh:
I'm guessing usually when they ask if you're ok, you quietly tell them you are or something?
Leigh:
rather than "ack"

Me:
i'm usually up again before that

Leigh:
so yeah, pretty soon they probably won't even ask

Me:
i'm usually laughing and saying yes
Me:
well, they like to hit me harder than the others .
Leigh:
they probably feel badly because their training tells them to hit you before they realize it's the "hockey kitten"
Leigh:
oh so no then
Me:
they check me like a guy, but i'm not big enough to take it
Me:
so i go flying across the ice
Me:
from like red to blue lines
Leigh:
so yeah probably actually, they probably go "oh shit I threw her across there again"
Me:
that's how far i've gone each time

Leigh:
just don't collide with the puck and get icing called cause you're sliding
Me:
haha
Me:
he's not calling anything
Me:
even when someone got completely wiped out
Me:
he didn't stop
Me:
no offsides
Me:
no icing

Leigh:
oh wow
Leigh:
hardcore

Me:
no unncessary roughness (even tho it's an intro class)
Leigh:
so they're counting on you guys being reasonable
Me:
so we have varsity players beating the crap out of people like m e
Me:
i just give it back
Me:
..... as best i can
Me:
Corazón Salvaje has changed his/her name to "Hockey Kitten"
Me:
i'm soooooo sore

Leigh:
lol hockey kitten indeed




Other news. My attempts to be cool backfire. I figured I was doing well jumping from the hockey bench to the ice, I figured I could go ice to hockey bench. Yeah no. After thoroughly embarassing myself, I walked away as if nothing had happened and went in through the side door. If I were a cat, I would have taken a bath.

I also fell on my hip three times in 24 hours. Tuesday's hockey class - feet knocked out from under me. Fell on hip. Wednesday - went to a freestyle session before hockey (skating, with the jumps and all). Fell on hip. The same side. Went to hockey class immediately after. Got hit by teammate... yeah. I think you get the picture. Went sliding across the ice each single time.

Other news. I figure if you got this far (and yes I didn't put this first for a reason), I should probably tell you. My Jeep and I went off the road yesterday. I hit black ice on the Fox Highway as I was changing from the fast lane to the slow. I went into the side embankment (so lucky it was the strip of road that didn't have the concrete wall as the barrier). Managed to avoid the two or three metal signs that were literally next to me and in front of me. Didn't hit anyone. My car's okay. I'm okay. The gerbils are kinda pissed tho. They didn't have their seatbelts on. I was definately shaken. I couldn't help but think of everything that didn't go wrong but very easily could have. Someone stopped after a few minutes and helped me get the jeep out of the mud and snow and ice and freezing rain. Needless to say I didn't drive anywhere today. But I need to drive back to Oxford tomorrow, sooooo.... we'll see how I hold up. I don't feel like posting any more on the subject, because I'm still pretty shaken, but if anyone calls to chat or IMs me I'll try to talk more. No guarantees. Really going to depend on how busy I am and my state of mind.

Hmm, what else. I'm getting rejection letters right now. Not putting me in the best of moods.

We've had a couple inches of snow, and a LOT of ice. The poor dog can't even go outside anymore - she can't keep a grip on the ice. Poor thing keeps falling flat on her face. Dad had to bring her back in the house earlier - carrying a 70 pound dog is no easy task when walking on ice. Tomorrow is supposed to have freezing fog. >.<


Flower Hall, pretty clouds, and the moon:




Pretty clouds in front of Millett:




More pretty clouds in front of Millett. So much for my idea to get dinner, eh? Yeah, I got a bit sidetracked:




Flower Hall, again:




Lunar Eclipse - before the main event. Probably 45 minutes before it's peak:




The real deal people (Yes, the entire eclipse is there.):




Miami Property off-campus:




Part of a farm... that is no longer there... off Miami's campus (and right across the street from the picture above):




Alexander Hamilton:




One of the twins... times three?:




Me and my jeep. After going off-roading. In the ditch. On the Fox Highway. See? Pretty and muddy. I love muddy jeeps. I've been ordered to send it through the car wash before I return to school, however. I have lots of pretty muddy jeep pictures, for anyone interested. Close up, far away, more of my beautiful face, etc. I love my jeep. Even when it doesn't stay on the road. And could have easily killed me. Or someone else. Or some of the signs.




Muddy jeep window. Wet, cold, and highly-bundled up girl taking pictures. Namely, me:




Khan, being innocent and cute:




Jasmine, being ticked off like usual:




Darling Molly, with the grey chin and the current fear of ice:




Ice on the evergreen:




Ice covering the thorns and berries of the evil thorny devil. Much less dangerous in this state, however:




Some ornamental grasses:




Someone else's plant. But pretty with the ice:




Birdhouse in the garden:




Outside, with the ice and snow and pretty reflections:




Outside, again:



Hope you enjoyed the show. ;) Come back next time for more interesting tales.
PS. My thumb really really hurts. And there's no way to make it feel better. :(

2 comments:

Anonymous

Awesome pictures as usual, "hockey kitten"!
I'm so sorry to hear about your near-accident! At least you're ok, physically. Make it back to campus safely, ya hear? No more off-roading until I go see you! ;)

 

Heh, you and your dangerous ice sports. :P
Seems you're doomed to slide whether you're on skates or tires...
More pretty pictures. ^_^